History of Edmonton
Edmonton is the capital of the Alberta Province in Canada. The city is developed along the North Saskatchewan River. Located on the border of Canadian plains and the Taiga forests (northern forests), this city has become one of the most beautiful cities throughout Canada. The North Saskatchewan River flows through the city, forming valleys, especially the Canadian Green Ribbon (the longest strip of green space in North America). Although Edmonton is the capital of Alberta Province, it is the second most populous city in the province after the City of Calgary.
Until the year 1600 AD, electricity was one of the issues that occupied the human mind. William Gilbert was able to run important research on electricity and magnetism. After him, other people such as Stephen Gray and Robert Boyle followed in his footsteps. Research and development continued until the late 19th century, when the greatest advances in electrical engineering occurred and electricity became the impetus for the Second Industrial Revolution.
Perhaps the most important invention in relation to electricity are light bulbs. An invention that has great impacts on our lives till now. In January 1880, Edison submitted the patent of an electric light bulb to the U.S. Patent Office, but his request was denied. The organization’s experts believed that the design and construction of the Edison light bulbs was based on the studies of William Sayer. On February 13, 1880, Edison discovered a physical phenomenon that still bears his name today. In other words, to answer the question of who was the inventor of electricity, everyone named Edison as the answer.
Later, Edison tried to claim the patent for the light bulb in Great Britain, defeating his rival, Swan, who had independently invented the carbon-fiber heat lamp. However, after a fruitless legal dispute, the two sides clashed. They reached an agreement and established the company named “Edisowan” in Britain. The company became part of General Electric in 1892.
An electrical technician is responsible for all matters related to wiring and electricity in various centers, including homes, offices, commercial complexes, shops and industrial centers. In fact, in contrast to popular belief, the job and profession of an electrical technician goes far beyond the wiring and electrical work of a home.
In other words, it can be claimed that generally speaking the profession of electrical technicians is defined as: to apply theories in the field of electricity and other related sciences to test and modify operating machines, to develop electricity, control equipment and electrical circuits in factories and industrial or commercial laboratories or to execute all the works related to the wiring and electrical system of non-industrial centers.
In general, it can be claimed that the field of expertise of these people is divided into two general categories of general electricity and industrial electricity. General electrical technicians deal with the wiring and electricity of a variety of buildings, such as residential, commercial, and office buildings, while industrial electrical technicians deal with the electrical affairs of factory systems.
1. What are the Characteristics of an Electrical Technician?
To give an answer to the question ‘what characteristics should an electrical technician have?’, it should be said that there are many factors in this regard that can be discussed here, but in this section we will mention the most important factors:
Order and accuracy are important in many professions, and electrical technicians are not exempt from this rule. An electrical technician must meticulously pay attention to details. Full mastery of instructions and safety issues is also very important and is one of the most vital principles of electrical technician work. An electrical technician must be able to work well at heights and, thus, be physically strong.
As with many technical professions, complete knowledge and mastery of the above principles alone is not enough, and work experience is of great importance.
An electrical technician needs to pay attention to details, be highly capable to solve problems and be a little obsessed! S/he must constantly ask her/himself questions! Were all the wires I used safe and without corrosion and tearing? Does the installed electrical panel respond well to emergencies? Is the electrical system of this [residential/industrial] complex designed so that it does not catch fire in case of short-circuit and electrical fluctuations? Will the installed air conditioning and technical system be the most efficient in this place or is there a better place for it?
2. Challenges faced by an Electrical Technician
Similar to many other professions, electrical technician has a challenging and serious job. When looking at the reasons for this profession difficulty, we come across the following items. An electrical technician should be able to:
- Provide technical assistance and solutions in the face of electrical and engineering problems before, during and after construction.
- Assemble electrical and electronic models and systems manually (i.e., hand tools) based on engineering data and electronic knowledge.
- Install and maintain electrical control systems and transistor equipment.
- Modify electrical models, components, parts, and systems to correct functional deviations.
- Use test equipment to evaluate the performance of advanced parts, components or systems under artificial operating conditions and enable recorded results.
- Collaborate with electrical engineers and other staff to identify, define, and solve advanced problems.
- Build, adjust, maintain, troubleshoot and repair electrical appliances or test equipment.
- Analyze and interpret experimental information to solve related design problems.
- Write enterprise procedures for electrical installations.
- Provide project cost and estimate work time.
3. What are the Duties/Responsibilities of an Electrical Technician?
In response to this question, it should be said that experts in this field are responsible for installing, inspecting and testing equipment, ensuring the proper operation of electrical systems, troubleshooting faults/defects.
The duties of a non-industrial electrical technician are generally as follows:
- Update electrical systems
- Design and installation of electrical systems
- Design and installation of lighting systems
- Renovation of electrical systems
- Inspection, supervision and protection of electrical systems and ensuring their proper operation and safety
- Installation and wiring of alarm system circuits, fire alarm system, protection equipment and CCTV
On the other hand, the duties and specialized tasks of an industrial electrical technician are generally as follows:
- Installation and wiring of power distribution panels, electrical circuits and protection devices
- Commissioning and repair of electric motors
- Familiarity with safety and security equipment
4. What Are the Skills and Knowledge Requirement of an Electrical Technician?
- Good practical skills
- Ability to operate in accordance with technical drawings, building plans and wiring diagrams
- Ability to operate with great precision and concentration in an organized and safe manner
- Ability to operate at heights, confined spaces and different weather conditions
- Appropriate communication skills
- Ability to operate in a team, especially in large projects
- Knowledge of safety principles and instructions at work
- Proper physical strength
Also Read: All About Electrical Systems
5. Edmonton Electrical Technician
Many people and companies like Can Electric in Edmonton, both online and offline, work as electrical technicians and provide relevant services for customers. In the online type of companies located in Edmonton, in order to receive the desired services, all you need to do is open to the Can Electric website and enter your information so that Can Electric can contact you in the shortest possible time and provide the requested services with the highest quality within the shortest time. You may also get these services with a simple phone call or email.
In addition to this company, various other companies in Canada offer similar services for the customers.
Fortunately, the sites and companies located in Edmonton are advanced and reliable enough in this field that you can use the services of companies with ease. Consequently, all your electrical and wiring affairs would be requested to the Edmonton technicians.
6. Types of Electrical Services
As it was mentioned earlier, electricity services can be generally divided into two categories: industrial and non-industrial affairs. Depending on where you desire to use electrical services, the types of services will be of different types. But, in general, the following services can be provided in the field of electrical services:
- Electrical Upgrades: Upgrading electrical services is essential to the safety of the electrical system at home and/or work. Generally speaking, we must say that the Edmonton electrical technician you choose to do these affairs can provide various services such as electrical service updates, electrical panel updates and box breaker updates.
- Lighting Installation: Lighting is one of the most important factors in the beauty of the workplace and home. Edmonton electrical technician can assist you in this regard and help you in the principled and accurate installation of conventional light bulbs, decorative lights and energy-efficient lights.
- Electrical Inspection: When talking about electricity and electrical services, we know that one of the most important principles in this area is safety and compliance with the requirements of the Canadian Electricity Code. An Edmonton electrical technician will perform electrical inspections of residential and commercial wiring or even electrical devices and equipment to ensure the safety of electrical systems and wiring.
- Electrical Installations: Edmonton electrical technicians can also assist you with electrical installations from commercial electrical wiring to residential electrical installations.
- Electrical Renovation: If you desire to renovate your electrical system, get help from Edmonton electrical technicians. With their knowledge, these experts can help you renovate residential electricity and improve commercial electricity.